Estate planning can be stressful, but being prepared for the process can make things feel less daunting. Read on to learn more about the best ways to prepare for an initial consultation with an estate planning attorney in New York.
What Should I Consider Before Beginning the Process?
When it comes to estate planning, there are a lot of important decisions to make regarding topics we often avoid talking about or even thinking about. As a result, it is important to work with an empathetic attorney who can make the process as smooth as possible. You will want to work with an experienced estate planning attorney who can walk you through the process and answer any questions you may have. Another good way to approach the process is by educating yourself beforehand. This allows you to go into the process prepared, which can make things faster and easier. Some things to consider are the documents you will want to create. For example, do you want to create a power of attorney? Are you interested in a healthcare directive? Have you thought about who will be put in charge of these things? One of the first steps of the estate planning process will be an initial consultation with your estate planning attorney.
What Should I Bring to my Initial Consultation with my Estate Planning Attorney?
In order to prepare for your initial consultation, you should gather the documents you will want to bring. Often, these documents will include:
- Your financial statements (checking, savings, money market, brokerage, pension, IRA, etc.)
- Your most recent bank, investment, and retirement account statements
- The deed to your house
- Your previous estate planning documents, if you have any
- Prenuptial or postnuptial agreements
- Divorce agreements
- Business agreements.
- Copies of your retirement plan
- Copies of your life insurance policy
- Contact information of your doctors
- Contact information for family members
- An unofficial list of the people you may want to list as trustees, executors, health care agents, etc.
- A list of your estate planning goals
- A list of any questions you have for your estate planning attorney
If you have any questions or concerns about the estate planning process, our firm is here to help. Reach out today to speak with an experienced and dedicated estate planning attorney. We will advocate for you every step of the way.
Contact our Firm
If you or a loved one needs assistance creating an estate plan and wish to speak with an experienced attorney, contact the Law Office of Andres D. Gil, PLLC today.