In New York State, probate proceedings take place in the part of the court called the “Surrogate’s Court” in the county where your relative was living when he or she died. Chances are if you are living in Putnam County, your estate will meet the minimum amount, requiring it to go to probate. If you need help with this complex legal issue, please read on, then contact one of our experienced Putnam County probate attorneys to learn if you do need to hire a probate lawyer in New York.
Is a probate lawyer necessary in the state of New York?
There is no requirement that you hire an attorney to take care of a probate proceeding on your behalf. If you feel comfortable doing so, you may handle a simple probate yourself. However, many probate matters are challenging and you would be better served by having a skilled Putnam County estate planning attorney handle your case.
When should you hire a probate lawyer in New York?
You may have any number of reasons for hiring a New York probate lawyer. Some of the most common are as follows:
- Preventing undue stress and strain within the family: A probate lawyer can reduce or even eliminate conflicts within the family by promoting understanding
- Assessing the estate goes faster: Probate lawyers can expedite the process
- Helping prevent rejection by the courts: Probate lawyers make sure the documents and court filings contain the most accurate and up to date information
- Handling debts properly: A probate lawyer helps reduce tax burden and financial strain on survivors
- Preventing lawsuits: When everyone understands their rights and responsibilities, they will have no grounds to file suit against each other
Why else should you hire a Putnam County estate planning attorney?
In the state of New York, if an estate is valued at over $30,000 then it must be probated when there is a will. The court has a “small estate proceeding” when the estate is below $30,000. As you are likely well aware, property values in our neck of the woods are very high, so it is quite likely that even a modest estate would exceed that $30,000 minimum. Aside from cutting down on family infighting and other domestic squabbles, you may need to hire a probate lawyer as a means of reducing your stress levels. The death of a loved one is already emotionally draining, so there’s no need to exacerbate it. Our firm will handle probate and any other estate planning matters with the utmost tact and professionalism. You have enough on your mind. Let us handle the legal work. Give us a call today.
Contact our Firm
If you or a loved one needs assistance creating an estate plan and wishes to speak with an experienced attorney, contact the Law Office of Andres D. Gil, PLLC today.